Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) is seeking to employ suitable and qualified applicants to fill the position of Oil Price Analyst.
The Position is based in Nigeria.
- Within the Research Division, the Petroleum Studies Department provides pertinent and reliable information and analyses in support of decision-making and policy-making in Member Countries.
- It carries out research programs and studies on short-term petroleum market developments with the aim of issuing reports on a regular, as well as ad-hoc basis, highlighting important issues for their use and consideration. It conducts regular forecasts, elaborates and analyses oil market scenarios and prepares and publishes reports on these findings.
- It promotes OPEC’s views and technical analysis on short-term oil market developments to the industry at large and the general public via the OPEC Monthly Oil Market Report, as well as other reports, presentations and related pod casts. And it prepares and contributes to reports to be submitted to the Economic Commission Board, the Board of Governors, etc., as well as papers for various OPEC publications.
Objective of Position
- To study and analyse determinants of oil prices and price differentials between grades of crude oil as well as different market crude spreads with potential arbitrage flows and to analyse factors affecting petroleum future markets and their interaction with spot prices; to forecast short and medium oil price movements and – on the basis of forecasts of oil demand and supply as well as current stock movements – to undertake market assessments under different scenarios and report thereon.
- Consolidates analytical findings and prepares, coordinates and contributes to reports for submission to the Governing Bodies (primarily Economic Commission Board) and for issuance in the Daily, Weekly and Monthly Reports as well as for presentations in various forums.
- Carries out the Market Assessment for submission to the Governing Bodies (Board of Governors, Economic Commission Board, etc.).
- Analyses the price performance of different grades of crude in the international oil market and identifies significant changes in price differentials.
- Studies and analyses crude oil pricing policies of oil exporting countries.
- Studies and analyses price developments in future markets, identifies prices levels and differentials in relation to spot markets.
- Follows up on the performance of the OPEC Reference Basket in relation to major benchmarks.
- Carries out further in-depth analyses and applies quantitative methods on oil market price movements.
- Analyses key factors which have an impact on oil prices, primarily in major consuming countries.
Required Competencies and Qualifications
- University degree in Economics, Petroleum Economics, Marketing, Engineering or related fields;
- Advanced degree preferred
- 8 years in the oil industry sector
- 6 years in case of advanced degree
- Physical and future markets
- Supply/demand fundamentals
- Economics in the petroleum industry
- Trading tools
- Oil market and its fundamentals, in particular combination of all key factors influencing the oil market/prices
- Communication skills
- Analytical skills
- Presentation skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Customer service orientation
- Initiative and integrity
Status and Benefits
- Members of the Secretariat are international employees whose responsibilities are not national but exclusively international. In carrying out their functions they have to demonstrate the personal qualities expected of international employees such as integrity, independence and impartiality.
- The post is at grade E reporting to the Head of Petroleum Studies Department. The compensation package, including expatriate benefits, is commensurate with the level of the post. Deadline is 28th February, 2018 CLICK HERE TO GET DETAILS AND APPLY