DEADLINE: 12 midnight of November 30th, 2018
WAAW is pleased to announce its 2018 scholarships, offering $500/year for need-based female African students admitted to a University, College or institute of higher learning in Africa. WAAW Foundation is a U.S. based non-profit organization focused on Working to Advance STEM Education for African Women. WAAW promotes Science and Technology education among African girls, and works to ensure they are engaged in technology innovation for Africa.
Eligibility: Female students of African origin living in Africa, less than 32 years, have gained Undergraduateadmission to a University or College in Africa and studying a Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM) related degree course. Candidates must demonstrate financial need and excellent academic record. Special consideration is given to underprivileged students such as orphans, girls impacted by HIV or students in first or second year of study.
*Please note that WAAW does not fund graduate (masters, MBA or phd) programs, second or subsequent degrees, students older than 32 years, non-STEM focused courses or Diploma degrees.
Benefits: Scholarship recipients receive an award of $500 for the 2018/2019 academic year, or the equivalent in their country’s local currency. Prior scholarship recipients may reapply for renewal the following year, with proof of continued excellent academic performance.
The Application Process: WAAW will accept online applications from September 19 through November 30, 2018. Applications submitted prior to this date will not be received or reviewed. Scholarship applications are reviewed by the WAAW foundation Scholarship Committee, and awards are announced by February 2019. Application deadline is 12 midnight of November 30th, 2018. Instructions on how to apply are below.
WAAW foundation’s annual scholarship initiative is aimed at supporting need based African female STEM-focused college education. Please read the eligibility criteria before you apply. All non qualifying applications will be automatically deleted! Criteria for eligibility includes:
- Female students of African origin, living and studying in Africa.
- Currently enrolled in undergraduate B.S.degree program.
- Studying STEM related courses in a University or college in Africa.
- Demonstrable financial need, and
- Excellent Academic Record.
- Below the age of 32 years.
- Graduation date is after December of award year
Please note that we do not fund graduate (masters, MBA or Phd) programs, second or subsequent degrees, students older than 32 years, non-STEM focused courses or Diploma degrees. There no NO EXCEPTIONS to these requirments.
WAAW Foundation awards annual scholarships to students who demonstrate need and prove their status as full time students in a STEM related course in an African University. Recipients will be required to start a STEM Outreach Chapter at their university.
Please visit our FAQ page for answers to your questions
List of accepted and not accepted courses. Note that there are NO EXCEPTIONS to the courses listed.
Accepted: Agriculture, Aircraft engineering, Architecture, Bio Medical, Biochemistry, Biology, Botany, Chemistry, Civil engineering and urbanism, Computer Science, Construction technology and management, Economics, Electronics Engineering, Engineering Agriculture, Environmental Health, Environmental Science, Food Science Technology, Genetics, Geography, Geology, Home Science Nutrition and Dietetics, Industrial Chemistry, IT, Math related fields, Natural Science, Pharmacy, Physics, Science related fields, Statistics, Technology, Zoology
Not Accepted: Accounting, Agriculture Economics, Anesthesiology, Arts, BA degree, Banking and Finance, Business Administration, Business Information Technology, Business Statistics, Catering/Hospitality, Commerce, Community Health, Dentistry and Dental Surgery, Developmental Studies, Diploma, Economics, Education/Teaching, Finance and Operation Research, Financial Management, Gender Studies, Graphics Design, Guidance & Counseling, Health Education, Health Information Management, Health Sciences Management, International Finance, International Relations, Journalism, Law, Library and Information Sciences, Mass Communication, Math Education, Matric, Medical Lab Science, Medicine and Surgery, N2, National Diploma, Nature Conservation, Nursing, Paramedics, Political science, Procurement, Project Management, Psychology, Physiology, Physiotherapy, Prosthetics and Orthotics, Public Administration, Public Health, Real Estate, Recreation and Leisure Management, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning, Secondary Studies, Secretarial Studies, Social Science, Social Science in Economics, Sociology, Supplies Chain Management, Textile Technology, Tourism and Hospitality Management, Veterinary Medicine, Welding and Fabrication Engineering, Wildlife and Ecotourism Management
HOW TO APPLY
Your application will include the following:
- Application form filled out completely. We will only accept online applications this year. NO PAPER APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED*.
- Personal and Contact Information.
- Educational background and Family Information.
- Statement of need should describe why scholarship funds are needed and what the funds will be used for if received.
- Essays are a strong criteria in determining candidates who are short listed. Responses to essay where to buy modafinil online redditquestions that address career goals and how you expect the WAAW scholarship will assist in your education. Please have you essay responses ready before you begin the application.
- 1. In 500 words or less, please write an essay on your future career goals and how you expect the WAAW foundation scholarship will assist in fulfilling those goals.
- 2. In 300 words or less, please describe what you believe about female education in Africa and its impact on research, development or advancement in African economies.
- 3. Describe in ten or less sentences why you need a scholarship. Tell us about your need or personal/family/financial situation and how the funds from WAAW scholarship will assist your education and/or career plans.
- Two academic/professional references. Note recommendations and transcripts ARE NOT REQUIRED AT THIS TIME. ONLY after a candidate has been shortlisted. However, you must provide the names of 2 references in your application.
SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION
Please complete all sections of the application form and submit all required materials to WAAW foundation by the deadline. Application may be completed online. Click Here to Begin your application.
For further information or inquiries please email:
Please do not email inquiries until you have reviewed all the requirements above, including the list of accepted and unaccepted course in the FAQ link above.
ONLY Shortlisted candidates will be required to send the following additional items in order to complete this process.
- 2 references; one MUST be written by a professor from your institution of study and the other from an academic supervisor/advisor or mentor. Reference forms should be downloaded from 2018_ScholarshipReferenceLetter and emailed to email@example.com
- A copy of a current signed and sealed transcript from your University to be emailed firstname.lastname@example.org, faxed to 1.888.519.4269 or to be mailed to:
WAAW Foundation Scholarship Committee
P.O. Box 1691, Wylie. Texas 75098.
*Scanned copies of original transcripts may be emailed to email@example.com.
- A copy of the student’s School identity card must be scanned and emailed to us
How to Apply: Visit the WAAW foundation web site at http://www.waawfoundation.org/scholarships and complete the application form online. Follow the application instructions carefully. You must finish your application in one sitting. You will be required to write essays on your future career goals and how you expect the WAAW scholarship will assist in fulfilling those goals. We also require two letters of recommendation, from academic mentors and or job supervisors. Only shortlisted candidates will be required to mail current University transcripts directly to WAAW Foundation by November 30, 2018. Application documents must be submitted electronically via our online forms. We will not be accepting paper applications this year. All applicants are strongly encouraged to follow us on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/waawfoundation.
Examples of courses that are not eligible to apply: Nursing, ICT, diploma, mass communication, Social Sciences, Accounting, Business administration, Economics, Education. etc
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for partnership and sponsorship opportunities.