DEADLINE: FEBRUARY 6, 2019
The Yale Young African Scholars Program (YYAS) is an intensive academic and enrichment program designed for African secondary school students planning to pursue tertiary education and who wish to make meaningful impact as young leaders on the continent.
Participants will enhance their academic skills, receive university admission and financial aid application guidance, and join a network of young leaders from across Africa. Following the program, students will be paired with mentors who will help advise them throughout the university application process. There is no tuition cost to students to participate in YYAS.
YYAS is an official program of Yale University.
In order to apply to YYAS, applicants must fulfill all of the following requirements:
- Age: You must be at least 14 years old by application deadline (06 February 2019) in order to be considered. A typical YYAS student is between the ages of 15 and 18.
- English: You must be able to participate in a rigorous academic curriculum conducted in English
- Citizenship: You must be a citizen or permanent resident of an African country
- School location: You must currently attend school in an African country
- Graduation date: If you attend school in the Northern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school in May/June 2020 or 2021. If you attend school in the Southern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school in November/December 2019 or 2020.
If you are currently in your final year or term of secondary school, have already graduated secondary school, or are a university student, then you are NOT eligible to apply.
If you are a YYAS or YYGS alumnus/a, you may NOT apply for YYAS. (*However, if you are a YYAS alumnus/a, you can apply to YYGS if eligible.)