DEAD LINE: November 30, 2018
ELIGIBILITY: Must be a citizen of, and currently living in, a Sub-Saharan Africa country and be between 18-28 years of age.
TOPIC: What will it take to enhance the skills needed to prepare Africa’s youth for the digital economy and the future of work?
In 2014, the World Bank Kenya office launched the Blog4Dev competition, an annual writing contest that invites young people to weigh in on a topic critical to the country’s economic development. The competition is a way to engage Africa’s young people and provide a platform to share their views—and solutions—about development topics that are important to them.
Since then, Blog4Dev has grown to include the voices of hundreds of young people from countries throughout the region who have submitted blogs on topics such as how to end gender-based violence to debating the role of the private sector in public service delivery. The competition tests originality, creativity and innovation.
This year, for the first time, the World Bank Africa Region is hosting a regional blog competition, inviting young people from 48 countries to share their ideas for how they, and other young people, can prepare themselves for the digital economy and a technology-driven workplace.
To be eligible for the #Blog4Dev contest, you must:
- Be a citizen of any of the 48 countries in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Be between the ages of 18 and 28 years of age
- Currently reside in a Sub-Saharan African country
HOW TO APPLY
Submit your 500-word, original blog detailing your ideas about what it will take to enhance the skills needed to prepare Africa’s youth for the digital economy and the future of work, written in English, French or Portuguese by November 30, 2018.
Please note; submissions through email or post will not be accepted.
A panel of expert judges from inside and outside the World Bank Group will review all entries and select the top five from each country. The selected authors will be interviewed, and the top three winners will be chosen from each country.
The winning submissions will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Innovation and Creativity
- Clarity in Writing and Presentation
- Convincing and Impactful
- Ideas Must be Implementable
- Practicality and Relevance
- Potential Impact on Development
- Potential Impact on Jobs
Winning authors are eligible for several prizes, including a chance to intern at a World Bank Africa country office, or an opportunity to have your blog published on the World Bank Africa blog Nasikiliza.
TERMS AND CONDITION:
- Submissions must be original and well-written in English, French, or Portuguese
- Submission deadline is November 30, 2018. Late submissions will be disqualified automatically.
- The blog post length should be no more than 500 words. Longer entries will be disqualified.
- Only one submission per entrant will be allowed.
- The World Bank Group reserves the right to research and verify the eligibility of any entrants.
- The decision of the World Bank Group shall be deemed final.
- By entering the contest, participants agree to release the World Bank Group from any claims based on the contest and grant the World Bank Group all rights to their entry, including consent to publish their entered blog post on its website and social media channels.
- Failure to comply with these rules may result in disqualification from the contest. Bloggers agree to comply with and be bound by the decisions of the World Bank Group, which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this competition.